Friday, April 20, 2012

The Purpose of Relationships - Part II


Something really awesome happened to me while I was in California. Actually, many really awesome things happened but one special thing happened on April 18. And the first person I wanted to call was my partner. And in that moment I realized that THIS was the purpose of relationship. Thank you Tony Robbins, the purpose of a relationship is to magnify the human experience. Tony compares this to watching a baseball game. Yes, watching a baseball game by yourself is awesome, but it is a completely different experience when you are at the game with 250,000 other people jumping up and down and celebrating. On April 18 I celebrated by myself and did a little dance on the beach but it wasn't the same. 

I also want to celebrate HIS success. I want to feel like I’m walking into a baseball stadium when the two of us are in a room together, I want to feel as if fireworks go off when we look across the room, or when we make love, or when we celebrate. Because LIFE should be that amazing, fireworks should be going off every day! You never know what could happen, so every single day is precious and you MUST live it fully. I don’t believe we were designed nor destined to be alone. There is so much to be GAINED through having someone to share your life with, and sometimes many people choose to focus on what they imagine to be a loss.

Every single day is a new day. Every moment can be a new one in a relationship. You never have to project the past onto the present, whether it is something that happened in childhood or something that happened 2 minutes ago. 

"Can you see the possibilities a relationship offers? Explore the possibilities. Be yourself. Find a person who matches with you. Take the risk, but be honest. If it works, keep going. Let go of the past and begin every day at a higher level of love. This will keep the fire alive and make your love grow even more." - Don Miguel Ruiz

 

We are WHOLE and we are perfect exactly as we are and we are ENOUGH. I give up on saying oh boyfriends SHOULD do this or that, that’s bullshit. EVERY relationship is different and what works for one couple, might not work for another.  Some people are monogamous, some are not. Some people spend every day together, some do not. I want to CELEBRATE the magnificence of LIFE and all of the great moments I EXPECT to have. I also expect the sad times, or a difficult time, or a challenging thing to happen and then partners must “step up” for each other in those moments.

In all its simplicity for me today, I just want someone to celebrate with. Someone who reminds me who I am, holds the space and allows for me to discover myself over and over again. I want to celebrate my partner, encourage, empower, and inspire them to continue to create and enjoy their life. I am committed to love flowing out of me, giving love, being love. That when something really great happens in your life, they are the person you want to share it with. And when things that aren’t so great happen, they are there by your side.

There are sooo many quotes about love, but the one that really stood out for me was “true love is the soul’s recognition of its counterpoint in another.” All the WONDERFUL qualities you see in your partner are all things that lie within you, and same goes for all the things you DON”T like or are frustrated by! YUP you got those too. So the recognition of yourself in another. If you CONSISTENTLY celebrate your partner, celebrate their success and their life, you will celebrate your own. The best partners are the ones that fuel our capacity to love ourselves, which then INCREASES our capacity to love each other.

1 comment:

  1. I am so blessed and grateful I could celebrate YOU today. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete